"History Repeats Itself"
The saying I'm referring to is "History repeats itself." Time and time again we are reminded of our pasts and how the present can be freakishly similar to days of the past. One of the most polarizing and iconic movements of all time was the battle for Civil Rights by African-Americans in America. Oppressed through slavery and segregation for tons of years, the need to take action in order to get things changed started a movement that shook a nation. It is 2015 and it still seems as if we are fighting the fight our ancestors began decades ago. With a number of innocent people being slain in public, to simple racial tension in a number of areas, a sense of "New Slavery" is upon us. In 2013 Chicago native rapper/producer Kanye West releases his sixth solo studio album entitled "Yeezus". On Yeezus a very instrumental and somewhat monumental track entitled "New Slaves" brought up a very interesting topic as to what was happening in modern day society and how it may not differ much from a past in which African Americans were scorned. I decided to take it upon myself to create a video mashup and concept video for the groundbreaking track. Some of my personal work that I have never released that is being seen for the first time. I'll let the video and track speak on their own...
No comments:
Post a Comment
Feel free to let your mind go and spark a conversation...